7.05.2005

How to retrieve a wiffleball....or not

This is just one perspective on how the events of the evening of July 4th played out. You should be able to get a different perspective here.

As we played wiffleball, the great american pastime, in David's side yard a ball got stuck in a pine tree. Everyone knows when the ball is in the tree you've got to toss something up to knock it loose. The first attempted object was the wifflebat. MAGIC, down came the ball....up stayed the bat. Oops. I guess maybe we needed something heavier. Luckily, the landscape beds were lined with rocks! By now a good little crowd has gathered around the tree including the heroine of the story, Cari. After a few tosses by some other folks, Cari decided she was ready to give it a try. I admit that I was skeptical(as males are when doing a job they percieve a female less capalbe of doing), but impressed that she was willing to at least try. Toss number one ended up a bit short. Toss number two, remember we are throwing a rock, Cari really wants to get it there so she puts a little bend in the knees, lowers the rock down, giggles and says "I hope this doesn't hit me" and fires it up in the air. I think the extra effort from the legs hindered the release point becuase the throw was severely off line. So severe, if fact, it was almost directly over Cari's head. Predictably, she panicked, like anyone would, and tried to get out of the way saying "s*&^#, S(*&#$, S(*&!!!" Well, Cari perception of the rock trajectory was just a little off, so instead of running out from underneath the rock she actually ran directly below it and it struck her in the shoulder! Thankfully, it was the shoulder not the head. She gutted it out, didn't shed a tear, and went on to enjoy the remainder of the evening with some ice pressed on her shoulder.

6 Comments:

Blogger cari said...

My version will be posted soon. I am waiting on some pictures...

Tuesday, 05 July, 2005  
Blogger timsamoff said...

Man, I could have sworn I saw you walk into one of the restrooms at Kauffman last night... Guess night -- glad I didn't rush to stop you.

Tuesday, 05 July, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least you said "David" and not "Dave" - now that would have been a very difficult fourth... Dave would have been mega-pissst.

Tuesday, 05 July, 2005  
Blogger amy said...

I find it funny that as you typed this sentence: (as males are when doing a job they percieve a female less capalbe of doing), that you misspelled both perceive and capable. I guess writing is more of a female thing, eh?

Okay that sounded mean and I just meant for it to be funny. If I knew you, Jay, you would know I just meant it to be funny.

That and I'm trying like hell to defend Cari's honor...

Wednesday, 06 July, 2005  
Blogger jaymorgner said...

i am sure that you meant it in good fun, amy.

i am also certain that blogger should have a spell check function.

i stand by my account, perceptions, and writing capabilities.

Wednesday, 06 July, 2005  
Blogger cari said...

Alright guys. First of all, thank you Amy for defending my honor. Second of all, Jay, blogger does have a spellcheck function. And I'm sure you really knew that. But just in case you mean that in all seriousness, it's the button at the top of your post screen that has ABC with a checkmark. Pretty obvious.

Friday, 08 July, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home