3.16.2006

The French did something right.....

I'm just kidding! The French are very bright and well informed people I am sure, but I don't know any personally, so I must believe the stereotypes are true.

Seriously, I saw a French press at my friend Whitney's house a few weeks ago, and got curious. Could coarse ground coffee steeped in nearly boiling water really produce a superior cup of coffee? Would Mr. Coffee, the American icon, and his auto-drip really stand this gauntlet to be thrown without retaliation. Would St. Arbucks (clever word-smithing I've never been a fan of until now, when it fits my purpose) be supplanted by a zealot making the old new again? The answer is a resounding: YES!

Let the French Press Revolution begin! I've now owned a press pot for 3 days, and I am not sure I'll be able to use the auto-drip ever again. The process is no more difficult, but the taste is richer, and the leaves are now greener, the air more crisp, the birds song is sweeter, the burden of life is lighter.

Really, for 15 bucks at Target, I challenge you to try it and tell me I am wrong.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're tempting me to break my Lenten fast. I applaud your acceptance of the French (press). Now you must master the art of crepe making!

Thursday, 16 March, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome to the club coffee snob. FP is the only way to go

Friday, 17 March, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah...im with jmac on this one...though, i did for the first time yesterday had an americano with honey...rocked my face off.

whatever.

bye

Saturday, 18 March, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sacre bleu! next for jay: chain smoking, horizontally striped turtlenecks and berets. i am usually ill-inclined to embrace anything of french persuasion (save for Pepe le Pew - he's hilarious!), but i've heard that the french press is a miracle for coffee lovers. it seems so 18th century... maybe i should go for period teasing here... next for jay: blue satin, fleur de lis and knickers.

Monday, 20 March, 2006  
Blogger Megs said...

James, Your word use of St. Arbucks is similar to a scene recently on "Scrubs" where JD's (Zach Braff) screenplay is entitled "Dr. Acula" It makes me smile...

Friday, 24 March, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home